This course is provided by Alan Rutter, founder of consultancy Fire Plus Algebra, and is delivered over half-day sessions .
Alan is a specialist in data visualisation and has worked with the Home Office, the Guardian, WIRED, the Open Data Science Conference and numerous technology companies. See profile for details.
The course is delivered over two 3-hours sessions (9.30am-12.30pm GMT) in two consecutive days.
Price includes VAT, and post-course resources.
Data has become the most important resource for every organisation – but the insights gained from data analysis are only ever truly valuable if they can be clearly articulated to other people. This course will help you translate the raw numbers into compelling communications that drive change.
Whether you’re communicating with customers, investors, colleagues, leadership teams, outside organisations or the wider public, there are a core set of principles and approaches that ensure success.
From clear and simple charts and graphs, through eye-catching infographics, to elegant data dashboards – our road-tested frameworks turn complex raw numbers into powerful communications.
We’ve trained thousands of attendees from hundreds of organisations – including startups, tech companies, government departments, universities, health organisations, charities, and financial organisations.
What you will gain
- An in-depth understanding of the key elements of a successful infographic, presentation or other visualisation.
- Techniques for structuring large reports, and dealing with diverse audiences.
- The ability to use visual patterns to create cognitive shortcuts for your audience.
- Knowledge of layout principles, and creating hierarchies of information.
- Simple and repeatable design tricks (for non-designers)
- A set of free (and cheap) tools for creating infographics and visualisations
Who is it for?
- Anyone who regularly presents data to internal or external audiences. This could be in the form of slide decks, printed reports, interactive visualisations or dashboards.
- The workshop is for anyone who wants to raise their profile and achieve greater influence through powerful communications.
What to expect
- A fully-interactive, live workshop with a mix of hands-on exercises, discussion, and formal tuition… This is not a webinar.
- A maximum of twelve participants, to ensure effective peer-to-peer learning.
- While we will be using software, this is not a software training course. The frameworks and techniques are applicable no matter what tools you are using.
- After the course, all delegates with receive a pack of useful resources and follow-up learning.
Other Scheduled workshops
- 9.30am-12.30pm (GMT), 16th and 17th September
- 9.30am-12.30pm (GMT), 20th and 21st October